This is a classic Italian recipe,simple to make, and absolutely delicious. It is a favorite in Italian American kitchens and at street fairs. I looked forward to the San Gennaro festival on Mott Street in New York especially because of the sausage and peppers served on Italian bread.
The key is to buy Italian-style frying peppers. Red or green bell peppers have a very different taste and do not combine well with the sweet sausage.
There is a variety of Italian sausage available in most supermarkets, and they differ widely. I have no particular recommendation and most are good. You can buy either sweet or hot sausage, but I would recommend the sweet for this dish.
Italian Sausage and Peppers
* 10 frying peppers, cut into 2” strips
* 1 pack sweet Italian sausages (usually 5 links per package)
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1 Tbsp. garlic flakes
* Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Fry the sausages in an iron skillet (Tupperware will do) until browned.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside. Do not discard the sausage fat, for it will be used to fry the peppers,
- Place the sliced peppers on a baking sheet, drizzle the olive oil, sprinkle the garlic flakes and add 5-8 grindings of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and grill for about 20 minutes, turning at least once to be sure all the peppers get done and lightly browned. They are done when uniformly cooked (slightly soft) and browned.
- Cut the sausages into 2” pieces, combine with the fried peppers, heat, and serve.