They are available for only a short time and usually only in farmers’ markets (mid-late April in the Mid-Atlantic region) but well worth the extra cost. They are truly unique.
The ramps need only a few minutes cooking, so the recipe is very simple to make.
Pasta with Spring Ramps
* 3 bunches ramps* 1/2 pound penne rigate
* 2 Tbsp. unsalted European-style butter
* 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Cut the ramps into thirds
- Sautee them in butter (approx. 5 minutes) until just tender
- Cook pasta (penne rigate is a good choice)
- Put the olive oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add the sautéed ramps and mix well
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste
- Plate and serve