There have been a number of recipes for baked whole cauliflower recently for good reason. Slow baked with a spicy rub is a perfect variation from the usual recipes. Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that needs a boost, and toppings are usually it. Cold cauliflower with a mayonnaise, anchovy, caper dressing is a good example. Alu Gobi, the classic Indian curry dish is another. Baked cauliflower with a rub of a mixture of spices is simple, unique, and delicious.
Baked Whole Cauliflower With Spicy Rub
* 1 lg. cauliflower with leaves and stem trimmed* 2 tsp. paprika* 2 tsp. thyme leaves* 1 Tbsp. garlic flakes* 3 Tbsp. olive oil* 1 Tbsp. good Dijon mustard* 10 gratings fresh pepper
- Place all spices in a mixing bowl and mix well
- Taste the mixture and add spices as needed
- Rub over the entire head of cauliflower
- Place in baking dish uncovered
- Cook for 2-3 hours or until done (fork penetrates easily, nice crust on top)
- Drizzle another 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil after 2 hours.