The combination of shrimp and sausage simmered in tomato sauce with lots of Bay and Cajun spices, sweet corn cannot be beat. It is not a classic gumbo which usually has okra and often oysters, but this recipe is delicious and very simple to make.
Southern-Style Gumbo with Sausage and Shrimp
* 4-5 lg. Gulf shrimp, unpeeled, tails removed, fresh preferable* 2-3 Italian sweet sausage, 3" pieces* 1 cup frozen corn* 1/2 lg. red pepper, chopped* 1 can Marzano Italian tomatoes* 1/2 can tomato paste* 2 Tbsp. Bay Spice (approximately)* 1 Tbsp. Cajun spice* 2 tsp. fish sauce* 2 tsp. sugar* 4-5 lg. cloves garlic, chopped* 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
- Sauté the shrimp (unpeeled), garlic, and sausage in olive oil for 5-8 min.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, spices, fish sauce, sugar, stir well
- Bring to boil, the lower heat to simmer
- Cook for approximately 2 hours, last 1/2 hr. lid off
- Adjust for taste
- Serve (the shells after long cooking becomes soft enough to eat)