This recipe is a variation on spaghetti a la carbonara, an Italian dish with eggs and bacon. This recipe does not blend the ingredients, and each of them retains its own flavor but still contributes to the whole. The combination of sweet-salty bacon, sherry, dried mushrooms, and egg is really perfectly integrated.
Penne a la Crème with Portobello Mushrooms, Bacon, and Egg
* 2 oz. (approx.) dried Portobello mushrooms, rehydrated, chopped* 1/4 package hickory smoked bacon* 3 lg. eggs, hard boiled, loosely chopped* 1/2-3/4 cup Half-and-Half (approx.)* 1/2 cup sherry* 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan* 5-10 gratings fresh black pepper* 1/2 lb. penne rigate
- Sautee the bacon in a skillet until not quite crispy, remove
- Leave half the bacon fat in the pan, reserve the rest
- Put the mushrooms in the skillet and stir for about 5 min over medium heat
- Add the sherry, turn up heat for 3 min, then down to low simmer
- Add the bacon (loosely crumbled) and the eggs
- Add the cream, stir well.
- Simmer for approx. 5-8 min. Consistency should be slightly thick
- For a more intense bacon flavor, add the reserved bacon fat
- Add ground pepper
- Boil the pasta, drain, plate, add sauce, grated cheese, ground pepper