Pasta with peas was a staple for meatless Fridays in our Italian Catholic household, and it has been a staple in my kitchen since my childhood. I have modified it, of course, and this recipe is the latest incarnation. The combination of peas, shrimp, dried Portobello mushrooms, and sherry are a perfect blend. Marinating the shrimp in Bay Spice adds a particular and unique flavor. The best yet!
Pasta with Shrimp, Peas, and Portobello Mushrooms
* 6 lg. shrimp unpeeled* 1 can low-salt peas* 1/2 small package dried Portobello mushrooms, rehydrated* 4 lg. cloves garlic, chopped* 1/2 cup Amontillado sherry* 5 shakes hot pepper flakes* 1 lg. Tbsp. Bay Spice* 3 Tbsp. olive oil* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese* 1/2 lb. spaghetti (or other pasta)
- Marinate the shrimp in Bay Spice, 1 Tbsp. olive oil for approx. 4 hrs.
- Sautee the shrimp over medium heat until done
- Peel and chop into 1” pieces
- Sautee the garlic in the olive oil for approx. 5-8 min.
- Add the peas, rehydrated mushrooms, cook for 5-8 min.
- Add the sherry, 1/4 cup mushroom liquid; 1/4 cup pea water, stir
- Cook over low heat for approx. 20 min. until liquid has reduced by half
- Boil the pasta
- Plate the pasta and spoon the sauce over each dish
- Add the grated Parmesan and 5 grindings black pepper to each dish