Al Brodo is really an Italian soup made with greens. The most popular green is escarole for it gives a full-bodied, slightly bitter flavor common in Italian cooking.
When made with collard greens, the soup is a lot sweeter, but no less intense and interesting.
Collards Al Brodo
* 1 lb. collards (approx.), coarsely chopped* 2 cups of water (approx.)* 1 low salt vegan bouillon cube* 1 tbsp. (approx.) Bay spice* 10 grindings fresh black pepper* 1 lg. egg* 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil the water with the bouillon cube until it dissolves
- Add the collards, Bay Spice, salt and pepper
- Boil at low heat for about 20-30 min. until greens are tender
- Taste and add more Bay Spice, salt, pepper if necessary
- Turn up the heat, crack an egg into the boiling liquid
- When egg is cooked (the white comes together), place all in bowls
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.