This is one of the classics – tasty, easy to make, and quick. Everyone has a can of tuna on the shelf, and sherry and dried Porcini or Portobello mushroom are not hard to find.
Tuna a la Crème with Mushrooms and Sherry
* 1 can tuna packed in oil or water
* 1/4 cup Amontillado sherry
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/4 cup dried mushrooms (approx.)
* 1/2 cup whole milk (approx.)
* 1/2 cup Half-and-Half (approx.)
* 1 Tbsp. flour
* 2 tsp. dried oregano (approx.)
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Soak the dried mushrooms in enough water to cover for 10 minutes
- Sautee the garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tuna and oregano and stir well over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add sherry, cook for another 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in the flour, mixing well
- Return to the heat and add milk and cream slowly, mixing steadily. The object is to make a roux that is neither thick nor runny.
- When the roux is ready, add the mushrooms and approximately 2 Tbsp. of the hydrating water. Reserve the rest of the water.
- Stir and reheat over low heat for 3-4 minutes
- Adjust for taste (salt, oregano, mushroom juice, etc.)
- Stir, plate, and sprinkle ground parmesan over each serving, garnish with fresh black pepper.