Most of the time I like my rice plain with a little butter. I have changed from Jasmine or Basmati long grain rice to sushi short grain. I love the flavor and the texture. When I do something else with rice, such as make paella or fried rice, I use the long grain.
I recently posted a recipe for biryani – a wonderful rice dish with lots of spices, especially garam masala. It should have a slightly sweet taste and added cloves, cardamoms, and cinnamon result in a well-balanced dish.
This recipe for Curried Coconut Rice gives a lot of the same flavor as biryani, but takes far less time. The flavors are less intense, but the result is a fragrant, delicious dish.
Curried Coconut Rice
* 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
* 1 cup coconut milk
* 1 cup water
* 1 Tbsp. garam masala
* 1 Tbsp. Madras curry powder
* 5-6 whole cloves
* 7-8 whole cardamoms, pounded
* 2 tsp. unsalted European style butter (my favorite, but regular butter OK)
* salt to taste
- Bring the water and the coconut milk to a boil
- Add the spices and butter and stir well, returning the liquid to boil
- Add the rice, stir with a fork once or twice, lower the heat to a low simmer and cook for 25 minutes. If the rice still looks wet, then add five more minutes.
- Let sit for 1 hour (to dry any excess liquid)